Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Waiting for a train

This is how the idea of taking a year and wandering around started.

A good friend of mine asked me "Why don't you come stay at my place in Montreal while I'm gone away for five weeks?". And I thought about it for about thirty seconds. The picture above is me in Mile End in Montreal. I look happy. I was happy.

At the same time, I've been promising myself that really I was going to move out of Hamilton some day. I love Hamilton. I moved here in 1992 to be the manager of CFMU at McMaster University. This was the first place in my adult life I could see myself living for a long time. And I did live here for a long time, in between side trips to places like Ottawa and Appalachia. I owned my first house here in Hamilton. I loved my house, I loved my job and I loved my guy. But, as they say, many good things come to an end (actually they say ALL good things come to an end but I don't quite believe that).

I came back in 2007 to a Hamilton greatly transformed. I wanted to be here. But I also knew the time would come when it would be time to leave. I didn't know when that was going to be. But I always knew that I would recognize the time when it came.

That time has now come. And so I say goodbye, knowing I will be back. Probably just to visit friends and get stuff out of my storage locker once I figure out where I want to put it all.

I leave with not a thought like "oh, how glad I am to get out of here". If I could give this city a big hug and say, thanks, it's been great, I would do that. Since my arms are not big enough to embrace the whole city, I'll have to imagine it.

Hugs to ... the kind, compassionate and real people who live here. Even though they fight with each other a lot. Goodbye to the hundred year old buildings and the ghosts that live there. Goodbye to one of the best libraries in Canada. The waterfalls, the escarpment and the beautiful harbour.

No comments: