Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My Year of Living Flexibly

I usually use this blog to keep in touch with people when I'm on the move.

I think I've stayed in one place too long because I haven't written anything in a while. Well, it's time to pull up my tent pegs and move on. For most of the past seven years, Hamilton has been my home. Hamilton has been my home off and on since 1992.

I love this city, I really do. But when I moved back here I knew the time would come. And now the time has come.

My plan for the coming year is to explore where it is I want to make my home for the NEXT decade. So I've put my favorite stuff in a storage locker where it will stay until I've made up my mind where I want to be.

I will be living out of a suitcase. I have had many generous offers from friends on vacation who have graciously offered their place to me while they're gone. I'm helping out other friends by taking care of their pets while they're away. My family has reassured me that if I get stuck, I can come "home". So I am approaching this fearlessly, and looking forward to the new perspectives that travel always brings.

When I tell people what I'm doing, I get two reactions. Some people say "wow, that's brave, great and fun! You have to write about it and share how you're doing it". Others look kind of scared for me and ask "so, you're homeless, then". Yes, but by choice.

I asked one of my best friends yesterday what her thoughts were about this eccentric new adventure of mine. She said she was perfectly confident I'd have a great year. "You've done this before", she reminded me.

Quite a few times. I'll fill you in on that in a future installment.

No comments: