Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Journal Reflections -- Child's Hope Home Saturday Oct. 6th


The kindergarten class at the Child's Hope Home

Over the next couple of weeks I am going to be posting some of my reflections that I captured in my journal -- this is one of them

I am in a monk's cell of a hotel room in Nakuru, after a long day at a political rally for the president of Kenya. Much more about elections and the electoral process in one of my next journal entries. For now, I'm thinking about the children at the Njaaga's Hope Child Home, an orphanage for 74 children, funded by my Kenyan friends James (Njaaga) and Lucy. I've been spending the last few days there, and it has been truly memorable.

First thing this morning the children knocked on my door. Constantly from 7 am on with letters to bring back to their sponsors back home, and my two nieces Emily and Elizabeth who sent money over to buy the kids some things that they need. I have been reading through the large stack ... they are sweet, sweet, sweet. What is amazing about these kids is that they are happy, well adjusted and don't carry the kinds of scars and wounds that you often see in children who live in poverty and deprivation.

I am sure they have their sadness too, but their joy is there in much greater measure.

Yesterday I went for a walk to gather water with them. What a job! I still can't understand how they can carry 50(!) pounds of water on their heads! Even the little ones have to go fetch water every day. The home has plumbing but no running water yet, so they have to go to the river and haul it up a steep hill. Even the four year olds do their bit. (I am going to suggest to the people here in Canada who are helping the orphanage financially that our next project should be to raise money to dig the well deeper -- there is a 60 foot well but it's not deep enough to get enough water for all these kids. The plumbing is in, but the well needs to go down another 60 feet. It's attainable ... it will only be $1000 to do it).

I've been spending my time at the home recording the children to do a story for the donors back here. I have captured some great stuff -- first of all, the kids are great singers and they sing all the time. One of the songs they sing the most contains the refrain "Happy, happy, we should be happy". This is the theme I want to use as the central theme.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about that statement. They are living in poverty. Their parents have died. A lot of them will be living a life of poverty that their families have lived. So why SHOULD they be happy?

Not a question they ask themselves. Because they ARE happy, though to Western sensibilities there doesn't seem to be much reason. Washing clothes in the pond (and a dirty pond at that). Having to carry 50 pounds of water .. some of them carry two buckets at a time. No toys. Having to wear the same clothes day after day.

For most of us, this would be a recipe for unhappiness.

But they are happy. So maybe these things don't have much to do with human happiness?

I've been thinking a lot about the difference between "want" and "need". When it comes right down to it, we need only four things -- food, shelter, water and love.

Even health care isn't necessary if all the other three are provided. The need for health care mostly stems from a life out of balance. I realize that this is a broad statement, stemming from my current thinking that a) suffering is inevitable and b) life and death should be allowed to take its own course.

There are many yes-buts to this position, which I even argue with myself over .. for example, it may be "natural" for a certain percentage of woment to die in childbirth. but shouldn't we do everything we can to prevent it? Yes. And I'm sure glad I got a typhoid vaccination before I left Canada.

Even a life in perfect balance won't help you if you're bitten by a malaria-carrying mosquito. A life in balance will help you fend it off better, though.

So okay, my list of needs is now up to five -- food, water, shelter, love and health care.

And what about education? Necessary or not? Back before the world intermingled to the extent it does now, people were well served through traditional education, passed on down through the family and the tribe.

I look at the kids at the Hope Home -- some of them will go on to higher education. Others will stay in the village. So what good is a western-style education to people who never leave the village?

Here, my answer to myself is clear. They wouldn't need "education" in the western sense of the word if they were living in closed situations. But they're not. Even if they have no desire to live anywhere else, the rest of the world will come to them. And they'll be exploited just as they have been in the past. Not just by European interests anymore as in colonial times, but by the economic powers of their own central governments and corporations.

If the people in the villages are not educated, they will not be able to deal with incoming change from a position of empowerment. If these children are educated, they will be able to lead their communities from a position of strength. So I hope some of these children stay in their traditional villages. Because their leadership is needed right here.

No more answers this morning, sad to say. Back later with many more questions.


The traditional village of Kirengiro, near the children's home. Most of the children come from this village and would be raised by their grandmothers if they weren't in the home.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there
it is great that you stumled upon njaagas. the place has spoken to so many people, especially canadians!!! i was at njaagas for two months in the spring of 2006. since returning i have started and organization in canada in an effort to aid njaagas. i would love to speak with you a little more about your experience, hear some of your suggestions for the homes greatest needs at the moment, and discuss any projects you might be undertaking for the home. i'm in the midst of trying to start some sort of database for all the groups and individuals helping njaagas, so that we can avoid overlap and maximize effectiveness. you can contact me whenever it is convenient for you at malaikajoyb@hotmail.com. i would really appreciate any information you could give me. thanks so much, and enjoy your wanderings. it sounds like you're having an amazingly rich and rewarding experience!!
malaika baxter

Spiros said...

Hello, my name is Spiros and I also have visited Njaaga's Orphanage.

You can see more of the children at www.raskimon.com

Spiros said...

Hello,
my name is Spiros and I also have visited Njaaga's orphanage.
you can see more photos of the children at www.raskimon.com

Spiros said...

Just saying hello from another Njaaga's sponsor.
you can visit me at www.raskimon.com

Unknown said...

Hey!

My name is Marcus Jansen, I am an international volunteer from Canada aswell! whooo CANADA! haha.. Anyways, I have visited Njaaga's home twice. Once in the summer of 2005, and then again over christmas in 2006. I have a vested passion for the children at Njagga's home! Last time i was there i filmed some footage and I am planning on creating a film concerning Njagga's home and some other centers in Kenya. I hope that we can all remain in contact through this blog and that when i finish the production of my film, we can all watch and critique it!

I am also trying to get involved in Njagga's campaign and I am wondering if anyone has any information concerning his 2007 campaign! Thanks Everyone! I miss kenya too!

Sincerely,
Marcus Jansen

Victoria Fenner said...

It is great to hear from all of you. Amazing that three of you already found my post -- I have also found posts about the Njaaga home by other people. It's so good to find out who else is out there who have met the children and are helping out.

Marcus, you asked about Njaaga's campaign ... I don't know how it is going but I got a first hand demonstration of how elections happen in Kenya when I went campaigning with Njaaga for a day. What an experience ... as one person told me "we are still a young democracy", as a partial explanation of why they have over 300 political parties and as many as 50 candidates per riding.

I hope Njaaga wins ... he will be able to do more, not just for his own children, but for all children. And he will certainly shake up the political landscape with his lively personality and his talent for saying it like it is ...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria Fenner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spiros said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria Fenner said...

Hi everyone who has posted in the last month or so. I appreciate your comments and they have helped me understand the situation at the Home.

I have deleted some of the comments because I am concerned about issues of libel. Nonetheless, I did read them and I am taking seriously what was said.

I do know that the group here in Canada which is raising funds for the orphanage also understands that there are problems. They are taking steps to make sure that all the money raised gets to the children. They are people of integrity and worthy of our trust.

Any of you who have done international development/humanitarian work knows that the road is often bumpy. No doubt there are bumps to be worked out ... while the larger context is being worked out, I have been told that the children are being fed and cared for.

Even if the children don't have everything we wish for them yet, I have faith that things will improve.

I am glad so many people out there care .. the friends of the children who I know are not giving up and it's good to hear that they have friends in other parts of the world too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Njaaga Njau James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria Fenner said...

Hello again .. this is a follow up to my previous post regarding why I have been editing comments left on my blog.

Regardless of the issue, it remains a very important concept to me that this blog be free of comments that hurt or continue disagreements which I have no part in.

The purpose of this blog is to record my perceptions at a particular point in time. I also do not revise my posts .. just like a newspaper, my comments are part of the historical record.

I will not change my own version of the truth and I will also not allow this blog to be used by others to work out their own issues.

In the future, I will continue to delete comments which perpetuate disputes and keep alive arguments and hard feelings.

Njaaga Njau James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.