Search This Blog

Friday, September 01, 2006

Killaloe with a View



My travellin' buddy and I arrived at Denman Island last night. Accommodations are slim pickings on the Islands this weekend since it is the long weekend.

We found ourselves a little guesthouse called The Denman Island Guesthouse. It's somethin' else. The Killaloe reference in my title is to a little place in the Ottawa Valley where time has stood still, and the Denman Island Guest House is also in that category.

How to describe it .. I will post a picture when I get back to Vancouver so you can see for yourself. In the meantime, here goes. It's a 1912 farmhouse that hasn't really been updated since that time. It's kind of like the house of an eccentric old uncle where everything in it has landed there over a period of time with no thought to planning and design. Or maybe it's like the summer cottage where all the outdated furniture from the main house has gone to die.

I expect a power struggle with my companion tonight over who gets the better bed. Last night he suggested he might need the bigger bed, I said I wasn't giving up that easy and we flipped for it. Tails I win. I did. Then again, because I snore (shh, don't tell anybody), he may just decide to go for one of the dorm rooms.

The house also has a brand new hot tub, which is becoming a theme throughout this blog isn't it? And a glorious view of the mountains of Vancouver Island. I think I'm going to have fun here for a couple of days. And it's only $20 a night, so the price is right too.

It also has a cafe with good coffee and yummy sounding food. And internet access, so I'm having my coffee, blogging away and enjoying the morning.

No comments: