Search This Blog

Monday, August 04, 2008

Living Alone - Pros and Cons


This isn't my house ... it's a friend's in Appalachia


I've been living alone for the first time over the past year since I was 25. This morning as I got up and drank my coffee, I got thinking about what I like and also don't like about this. Here's my summary.

What I love:

*I can decorate however I want. I can use the colour pink. And lots of lace if I want.
* I can fling my stuff wherever it lands and tidy up whenever I want. Or not.
* I don't have to negotiate space for my stuff and his stuff.
* I can have quiet and not talk whenever I don't want to.
* being able to concentrate on work without interruption.

What I don't love:

* waking up by myself
* cooking for somebody else .. I love cooking but I need an appreciative audience
* not having somebody to share morning coffee with. I end up drinking the whole pot myself and then I'm on caffeine overdrive all day.
* having to hang pictures, move heavy furniture and do all the household stuff by myself
* those wonderful spontaneous conversations which break out at unexpected times.

I think conversation is what I miss most of all. And the hugs too. For now, I like living by myself but I don't think I want this forever. That's been a bit of a shift in the last couple of months ... it's a good space to be in .. content but looking ahead to the day when I might want a change.

1 comment:

TheRadioHead said...

Interesting that I should stumble across this.

I just got back from dinner lamenting to my GF's about living alone for the first time in my life.

All those years wishing that I would come home to a house that looked exactly the same as I left it. Now I have it, I don't care for it.

It seems decadent, to have a house for one person. I can only be in one room at a time.

They tell me it is a transition, that it will grow on me. I am not sure.

I never in my life thought I would feel lonely, but I do believe that is the label to put on this feeling.